In this blog, we will explain how to become a professional gambler in 10 steps;
Getting into the right mindset is the challenge.
TREAT BETTING AS A BUSINESS (HOW TO BECOME A PROFESSIONAL GAMBLER IN 10 STEPS)
I recently wrote a Linkedin blog titled What business people could learn from
professional gamblers. The opposite is also true, in that betting professionals can
learn from business. Get your head in the game:
• Make a business plan! What you will need for your start-up, expectancy, and
mapping your journey.
• Betting money should be separated from private funds. When going full-time,
pay yourself a salary.
• Think about the legalities and how you are going to stay ahead of the game.
• Suppliers! What do you need to succeed, and how are you going to get the best
• Gambling education. How are you going to evolve into becoming the best you
UNDERSTAND IT IS ALL ABOUT THE ODDS (LINE SHOT)
In business, we negotiate a price. In professional betting, it is your job to squeeze
the juice out of bookmakers. That means to find or create the best odds available.
• Ask for higher odds on the betting exchanges. Constantly tell yourself, every pip
• Open multiple betting accounts. Shopping around with high-value bookmakers
will give a hedge.
• If you are betting double chance or draw no bet, it might be possible to create
higher odds by splitting the bet.
• Betting a win in football is the same as -0.5. Bookmakers often have different
odds about the same option.
• Know when to bet. If all bookmakers have the same odds, you can afford to
wait. Iceberging is for another day, but for now!
ODDS THEFT – ARBITRAGE BETTING
Traditionally speaking, Bookmakers do not like arbitrage gamblers. It is easy to
understand why those bookmakers can do the same for themselves.
Nevertheless, arbitrage players do not need to worry about bookmaker feelings,
but they should be concerned about account closure. To be successful at
arbitrage betting, consider the following:
• Accounts get closed and limited quickly. With that in mind, it is crucial to get 3rd-
party betting accounts.
• It is your job to extract as much as you can from each account, so figure out the
• Betting on low-key leagues/sports is more problematic. Liquidity is lower, and
chances are bets will be flagged.
• Using bots and placing 100’s of bets per day with the same (leisure) bookmaker
will lead to closure.
• Keep it sensible! That means keeping the number of bets per account down and
avoid asking for the maximum.
Watch our video on how to become a professional gambler in 10 steps:
VALUE BETTING (HOW TO BECOME A PROFESSIONAL GAMBLER IN 10 STEPS)
If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster! Only arb when the advantage is on both
sides. When offered 2.05 on heads and 2.05 on tails – that is fine! However, when
part of that equation is giving value back, use your brain. Let me explain how to
identify value bets:
• The true odds of Heads & Tails is 2.00. If one bookie is offering heads at 1.95 &
the other Tails at 2.10 – take tails.
• If you can beat the 100% Betting exchange odds, you have found a value bet
(subject to strong liquidity).
• Identify which bookmakers are good judges of various sports/leagues. Convert
into a 100% book and seek higher odds.
• For value betting, pay particular attention to in-play odds. They are changing all
the time, and that creates opportunity.
• If you are privy to any big team news, take advantage.
BETTING BANK & MANAGEMENT
With betting syndicates, we get on maximum without accepting odds slippage.
With private individuals (which I assume you are), it is probably better to keep
betting and private money separate. Moreover, devise a plan of how much you will
stake, and think about:
• How much will you bet? Work back from the number of expected bets and
• Will you use a stifled system based on strength. Will that change for each sport,
• While it will depend on your financial situation, consider higher odds means
longer losing runs.
• At what stage will the staking plan be changed, every bet, each day, week,
• Will anything change during winning or losing runs?
CHANGING ODDS (HOW TO BECOME A PROFESSIONAL GAMBLER IN 10 STEPS)
When you place a pre-match bet, it is no different to a futures trade. The idea is to
time your play for maximum value, and the closing line is the proof in the pudding.
Equally important, comprehend that betting markets are continually evolving. I
• If the perceived value is gone, forget the bet. As with buses, the next one will be
• However, if the odds are borderline, keep watching the market because they
can bounce back. Also, consider the opening line in-play.
• Consider the stampede effect, punters jumping on the bandwagon and the
weight of money taking control.
• Everything as a price. If you intended betting heads at 2.05, but the odds went
to 1.90 and tales moved to 2.05 – you know what to do!
• Asian lines and exchanges control betting markets, so start educating yourself!
Imagine you were a property developer and bought a building from auction for $1
million. If somebody later that day offered you $1.2 million, would you take it?
Most people will answer yes, but what if you valued the property at $1.5M? With
regards to betting, think about these scenarios:
• Cashout is an absolute rip-off, but some clever people have been able to
manipulate it. How, by making the bookie believe your Acca is a coup.
• You have a $1000 on a horse at 10/1, and later that day, it goes to 5/1. If you
believe it is a 7/1 shot, taking the profit is an option.
• Buy to sell (position taking). If you believe the odds will fall, take what you can
and sell off when the odds have dropped.
• Sell to buy (position taking). It also works the opposite way lay early and buy
back when the odds have drifted.
• If any platform is willing to pay more, take it!
HOW TO HANDLE ODDS SLIPPAGE
If you are betting within bookmaker betting limits, chances are you will not need to
consider odds slippage. However, for heavy hitters, it might be necessary to top
up at a few pips less. Think of betting as a business buying stock and what they
are willing to pay? In betting, it is all about perceived odds, examples of:
• If someone let you bet heads with a maximum 1000 at 2.05, take the 5%
advantage. If the odds drop to 2.03, take the +3%.
• When betting dynamic odds with maximum, the odds are likely to drop. Rather
than accept lower odds, wait for re-alignment.
• Do not place an order with your broker. By revealing your cards, they could take
• Go into the bet part of the exchanges, and request higher odds (inc,
• Decide true odds and only bet when having a perceived advantage.
INVEST IN BEING EFFICIENT
Farmers prefer tractors to horses for harvesting their crops. If you are not willing to
invest in the right tools, chances are you will be doing a lot of heavy lifting.
Professional gambling is all about maximising efficiency. Think about:
• Fast & reliable internet. High line computers, proper workstations, etc.
• Buy-in accurate data. The more you can get at your fingertips, the better your
• Build technology to help with identifying outstanding odds, bet placement,
predator bots, and so on.
• Track performance data. Learn your strengths, and identify weaknesses.
• At some stage, consider sports modelling. Betting is a numbers game, meaning
more is better.
For most punters, placing a bet means visiting the local betting shop or having an
online account! It is not enough to profit from betting, and you need to consider all
• If you are in a country where it is difficult to bet, move to a better location.
• Those who find value in soft-bookmakers need to learn how to open 3rd-party
• Negotiate better terms with betting exchanges (commission) and betting agents
• Use bet placers (commission agents) for betting in shops. Also, to circumvent
• Continually search for new betting outlets. Learn how to network and grow
Other considerations of how to become a professional gambler in 10 steps:
NO PLACE FOR EMOTION IN BUSINESS
DISCIPLINE IS KEY
CONTINUALLY REVERSE ENGINEER PERFORMANCE
THE LAST BET MEANS NOTHING BECAUSE THE NEXT ONE IS IMPORTANT
BE REALISTIC WITH EXPECTANCY
DO NOT TAKE WINNINGS OUT OF ACCOUNTS
DO NOT SHOW YOUR CARDS TO OTHERS
STAKES/ODDS/NUMBER OF BETS NEED TO BE ALIGNED
CONSIDER BETTING SHOPS
If you are serious about winning we offer a one-to-one professional coaching service. We have taught people to win millions from bookmakers, and our service is available to all levels. Whether you are a beginner or a highly efficient betting syndicate, we are here to help. Interested? Get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org